In my experience, hiring a professional hair and makeup artist is a non-negotiable.
Professional makeup artists will make you look and feel fabulous and they also have enough experience to work within a timeframe to avoid delays, which in turn affect your photos.
One of my favourite makeup artists that I work with is Antonia Astrup from Make Up My Style. Not only is she talented at what she does, she also has a bubbly character, and will make you feel amazing throughout.
She studied MakeUp Designory, in Soho, New York. She has a passion for making ladies look their best with makeup & she has kindly given some valuable makeup and skin tips and how to get your skin ready & glowing for the big day.
- DO NOT change you skin routine. If you want to, then do it at least 6months before your day to see if your skin will react in any way. That includes makeup.
- DO NOT have a facial the week of the wedding or a chemical peel. If you want to have a facial do it at least 2weeks before your wedding. A peel should be at least a month before the wedding.
- DO NOT touch your face. Restrict any hand face interaction.
- Stay out of the sun. If you have any pigmentation or spots, the sun will only make them worse so keep it down to a minimum in summer.
- Wear little to no makeup leading up to your wedding.
- Drink lots of water. By drinking plenty of fluids, you will be hydrating your skin which helps with your “natural glow”:
Your Make Up:
- Remember LESS is MORE. You still want to look like you, just enhanced. Photos last a lifetime.
- Don’t be heavy handed with any powder or else you will look “caked” and no bride wants that.
- Choose a look that is most suited to you and your features not what fashion dictates. If you don’t wear a bold lipstick then rather wear a nude/natural lip that you are used to. If a bright or bold colour lip is your signature then by all means go for it. It’s your day!!! Just make sure that it doesn’t ‘kiss’ off.
- Blush is a must. Apply it to the apples of your cheeks for a more youthful, livelier look.
- It is SO important to wear a waterproof mascara for your wedding day. You don’t want to have black streaks down your face from all the happy tears.
- Try and chose an eye look that is best suited to your whole look and feel of your wedding. Sometimes a dark smokey eye is not a great choice for daytime vintage themed wedding. You also want it to suit you as a person and bride.
- False lashes or individual false lashes are a very personal choice. False lashes on a wedding day make eyes pop but you need to feel comfortable.
- Choose a long lasting lipstick or lip stain. Condition and exfoliate your lips. It’s a must to have pouty healthy looking lips all day.
Facebook Page: Make Up My Style
Tel: +27 79 4391439